Happy Thursday! I’m heading out of town for a few days for a family reunion, and there are so many good foodie things a-happening! From sweet poppy seed cakes to what to call multicultural food, here’s my round-up.
I attended a gorgeous lunch hosted by Julie of Florence and Isabelle in honor of Emily Paster‘s new book The Joys of Jewish Preserving at the 20th Century Café. The food was glorious, and the company inspirational. I can’t wait to try my hand at the recipes!
- Feasts are of my favorite details in books, check out this piece from my excellent friend Sarah Gailey about epic fantasy feasts.
- Poppy seed braid yeasted cake!
- My love of M.F.K. Fisher is well documented, and her Last House is finally opening to the public! Time for a pilgrimage!
- Fruit bars are one of my favorite desserts, and Food Nouveau has a guide for how to make one with any fruit! Also, a new take on my beloved clafouti – Brown Butter, Hazelnut, and Cherry Clafoutis Bars
- What She Ate, the new book from Laura Shapiro looks at the food lives of six famous women. In it she includes Hitler’s infamous mistress and (eventually, very briefly) wife, Eva Braun. It is fascinating, dark, and disturbing.
- What a famous film did to California’s wine scene – the lasting impact of Sideways.
- Not about food, but why don’t we talk about the woman whose name is on some prints of the Declaration of Independence?
- The sickness of perfection, female bodies, and Instagram food.
- Fusion? Assimilation? Americanized? Ethnic? The many ways of thinking about the food that grows from the meeting of cultures.
- Okay, I’m obsessed with Azerbaijan’s cuisine!
- Hold up, FALAFEL SCOTCH EGGS?!?
- Sometimes foodies go too far and get a little crazy. Impatient Foodie takes Mark Bittman to task.
- Binging with Babish recreates the Tomate du Saltambique dessert from The West Wing.
- If wanting a lemon printed dress is wrong, I don’t want to be right!
And to finish, the glorious peach strudel from yesterday’s lunch:
Heavenly finish to a gorgeous lunch hosted by @florenceandisabelle at the @20thcenturycafesf in honor of @westoftheloop's new book #thejoysofjewishpreserving! Handmade light flaky strudel dough filled with perfect peaches! So nice to gather with @omgyummy @nourish_sf and other to celebrate! . . . #inseasonnow #buzzfeast #buzzfeedfood #noshthis #f52grams #eeeeeats #foodblogfeed #feedfeed #kosherish #foodlikewhoa #jewishfoodhero #jewisheater #girlsonfood #nosherium #strudel #peach #jewishfood #jewishblogger #treatyoself